Re: was going to point to the nano motor and video,

Mike Krasnenkov wrote:

Silvex wrote:

Mike Krasnenkov wrote:

Silvex wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

Silvex wrote:

Alexsfo wrote:

my understanding it is going to be the best performing 24-105 on the market. Besides optical performance, it has best in class OIS and superb nano USM AF which is equally great for stills and video. I preordered my EOS R as a bundle because the lens won’t be available as a standalone until at least December. Bundles are expected to ship within 3 weeks.

but I decided to read the other comments first. This really represents the first time Canon has put an nano motor in a large luxury class lens

True, but the 70-300/II (nano) USM sports a larger objective lens and hence would likely have larger glass in the AF group. That lens has one of the fastest AF solutions of all Canon lenses including pretty much all of their L lenses.

I'm thinking the RF 24-105/4L should be an excellent application of nano USM. With lack of focus breathing, fast, quiet nano USM focus, it sounds promising.

My opinion is that Canon should put nano usm motors in every new lens they release. They are lightning fast, and work great for video. I'm not really sure why they didn't put in all four of these new RF lenses.

Nano USM motors can't move heavy lens groups, and those 2 fast lenses are quite heavy indeed. I remember I've read revievers pointed out they could feel whole camera and lens balance shifting when 50/1.2 was focusing.

Where did you find out that nano motors can't move heavy lens groups? I would like to learn more about that. What is interesting to me is that the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM weighs more than the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro has six more groups with 9 more elements. It has the five more groups with 3 more elements than the RF 50mm f/1.2L USM and is within 250 grams of the same weight.

It is stated in EOS R whitepaper.

Thanks Mike! Could you point to the section or just cut an paste the quote where it discusses the inability to move the heavy lens groups. I seem to keep missing it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow