Bob Janes
Bob Janes Senior Member • Posts: 2,796
Re: The Outdated A-mount to E-mount adapter issue

havoc315 wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

voronspb wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

No.... I simply noted that Nikon AND CANON provide pass-thru adapter support for far more lenses -- 90 for Nikon, hundreds for Canon. Only 11 unique ff lenses for Sony (and only 26 total).

Imagine how many "angry customers" were left behind with their screw-driven Nikon lenses after announcement of FTZ adapter.

Very very few. Just as there aren’t many angry customers about the Nikon D3500 not having support for screw drive lenses.

Thats what you keep missing — since they have 90+ af-s lenses, they have been winding down support for screw drive for quite some time.

On the other hand, Sony only has 11 unique SSM/SAM FF lenses.

A Sony a-mount shooter Is far more impacted by screw drives than a Nikon shooter.

..which is why Sony provided an adapter that allowed AF with screw drive lenses.

We are going in circles --- An adapter that provides 2010 dSLT autofocus... it is very old outdated technology.

What about secondary sensor PDAF has advanced so much in the last 8 years that makes that adapter so outdated? The ones I've seen being used seem quite nippy and accurate...

Nikon also have a patent for a screw drive adapter with a pelicle mirror - I'm guessing that they just don't want to go with it at the moment.

My guess is they don't think there is sufficient demand, as very few of their users depend on screw drive lenses.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow