Why doesn’t Fuji build software like apple?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KFo Regular Member • Posts: 135
Why doesn’t Fuji build software like apple?

I was was browsing through the high level “new” items on the XT 3 after a few minutes earlier reading about the new iPhone XS camera features. It strikes me how far behind Fuji (probably all the other camera makers too) are in terms of processing from Apple. The camera companies aren’t really even in the game.

Did you see the portrait mode on the new iPhone? On software, they’ve completely killed the need for big aperture lenses for portrait bokeh effects. We Fuji shooters could always monkey around in the favorite post software to achieve subject/background separation lacking a big aperture but as usual apple has built it in.

The option to buy an expensive lens is always there to control the background; I do love the look of images from the big 56. The pushback to putting bokeh in software from a company like Fuji is that they also sell lenses. Really nice expensive lenses that marry you to the system...

In a camera like the X100F lens changes aren’t an option, how about some processing power to achieve subject background separation? Make it automatic when eye detection is turned on. Put it on camera adjustable in the jpeg engine. Take a look at the dpreview to see what I am suggesting https://m.dpreview.com/articles/9815316059/the-new-iphone-cameras-what-you-need-to-know?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-september-20&ref_=pe_1822230_364390320_dpr_nl_339_25

I know the retro grouches will say it’s not the same as doing it optically; I hear you!  But sometimes, you just need to get it done even if you left your 56 at home and shooting the 18-55. Or if you happen to have an X100F...

Later!

-- hide signature --

Opted into the Fuji X system big time. Like to travel light and shot quick; that's why I also have a Ricoh GR....
Perfect is the enemy of good!

KFo's gear list:KFo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 +13 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow