Epson P800 Print Width Problem with 25x17 paper...and solution!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Epson P800 Print Width Problem with 25x17 paper...and solution!

This is my first post on this forum, so hopefully I'm not rehashing a recurring topic. And if you want to cut to the chase, go the last paragraph. FYI - I'm not a professional photographer, but I'm a longtime serious photographer and enter work in juried shows and competitions, occasionally selling my work.

As background on the printer problem, I occasionally like to print 24x16 images, which requires 17" wide paper. I normally print with Epson Ultra Premium Luster, but it doesn't come in a large enough size, either roll or sheet, that will print 24x16 in a 17" wide printer. The roll width (as many have complained about for years) is only 16"! And Epson doesn't offer 17"x25" sheet paper. So the obvious Epson paper solution is to use heavier weight roll papers. I bought two rolls on sale last year of 17" wide Legacy Platine and Baryta. While the results look very nice, I found them very frustrating for printing and matting. I've had a very difficult time feeding them into the printer, and as the rolls got smaller, the curl and thick paper starting causing paper strikes from the printer head. Then, once the prints have been made, I have not found a satisfactory way of matting them without dry mounting - which adds time and expense.

So my solution to printing 24x16 on sheet paper brought me to Red River papers. Red River offers 25x17 sheets in a large variety of quality papers that have gotten decent reviews. I bought a 25 count box of 25x17 San Gabriel Baryta Semigloss 2.0. It looks very similar to the Epson Baryta I had been using. However, I ran into a major problem when trying to print 24x16 with a 25x17 user defined width. When I printed, the print width varied from print to print in widths ranging from 12 to 15-3/4 inches. How frustrating! I checked and double-checked my settings and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I researched on line and didn't find anyone reporting this particular problem. I contacted Epson, and their only recommendation was to set the print margins to 0.1 inch and call back if that didn't work. It didn't work, but I decided to try contacting Red River, in case they were aware of anyone having problems similar to mine while using their paper.

Well, after 30 minutes on the phone with Drew (very patient and helpful guy!!), we found the solution(s). When I set "user-define" paper width, I set it at 16.95" instead of 17". At the same time, I also turned off the Paper Size Check setting on the printer itself. After doing these two things, I once again had complete control over the print width. I'll add that I'm very happy with the new paper. It's easy to feed and it's flat enough to mat without having to dry mount it.

Alan

FOLLOWUP - I've received a follow up comment that turning off Paper Size Check in the printer's menu may have been the actual solution and that setting the User Define width to 16,95 may not have been necessary. I haven't had time to check, but thought I'd pass this on.

I'll add that Paper Size Check is buried in the printer's menu.  To get to it, click the small tool box on the printer's screen (bottom right corner with wrench and screwdriver).  Then go to System Administration, Printer Settings, and Paper Size Check.  Just click on this and hit Off.

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow