I still don't understand the benefit of P mode

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Ryantist Contributing Member • Posts: 785
I still don't understand the benefit of P mode

In A mode if you change the aperture, it changes the shutter speed (or ISO) to keep the same exposure. And in S mode if you change the shutter speed, it changes the aperture (or ISO) to keep the same exposure. So from a practical standpoint, I see P mode as being a hybrid between A and S, but it doesn't seem useful to me because I usually want to prioritize one or the other. What am I missing?

If I don't want to think about it, then I'm often ok with Intelligent Auto too. But I would like iAuto if I was able to choose things like focus area, WB, etc. I've read a few articles and posts that say P mode is like semi-automatic so that could be good. But say I'm in P mode and suddenly want a shallow depth of field. So I turn the dial to increase the aperture and decrease the shutter speed. How long will the aperture and shutter speed stay like that? Will they return to automatically changing?

The Ryantist's gear list:The Ryantist's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow