Another Disney thread

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mkphoto79 Regular Member • Posts: 279
Another Disney thread

I didn't want to do this but I'm driving myself crazy. We're heading out to Disney Florida in a few weeks for a family trip and I'm struggling with what to bring. The main point of the trip is to take our 5 and 6 year old there for the first time and enjoy the memories, photography is going to be secondary.

We are hitting all the parks during our trip for one day each, likely coming back to each at nite for a while.  From what I've read anything and everything from 8mm to 600mm is great for Disney.  I'm not overly concerned about having a very long telephoto for Animal Kingdom, I'd be more interested in my kids reactions than getting good animal shots.  And I'm not looking for award winning fireworks shots either.  I've also read a lot of posts stating that the vast majority of shots were taken at 50mm and less.  One thing I dont see discussed much is how important is a fast lens though?

I have a Rebel T5 and the following kit:

• EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
  • EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS
  • EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • EF 75-300 (my previous post described this one as the well regarded paper weight, not sure its worth bringing)
  • EF-S 24 f/2.8
  • EF 50 f/1.8
  • no flash aside from the on-camera one

No way I'm bringing all of this.

My initial thought was to rent a lens and only take only one. I have an option to rent an EF-S 18-135, the Sigma 18-300 or the Tamron 18-400 lens prior to the trip, though I'm a little concerned about focus issues with the third party lenses.

Considering this isn't primarily a photography trip I've recently started thinking maybe I'll just bring the 18-55 since its super light, and the 24 pancake since its tiny/fast and just make do. I also have an old powershot A590IS that I could bring as well but buying a new camera is out of the question, same for lenses.  Am I crazy or would this combo work well for Disney? Or should I rent one of the super-zooms?

(I also have a FastPack backpack and a gorillapod that I'll bring, along with extra memory cards and batteries). Its really just the lenses that are throwing me.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

mkphoto79's gear list:mkphoto79's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +3 more
Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow