JPEG vs. RAW

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,553
Re: JPEG vs. RAW

PhilDunn wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

PhilDunn wrote:

Outside of occasional bugs and some performance issues, LR is, I believe, easily the best RAW and image editor ever made. Wonderfully intuitive and the tools are fantastically effective. It amazes me that the same company behind the archaic, overly complicated and inconsistent Photoshop is behind LR.

Funny, I bought DXO in part because I found Adobe Camera Raw sort of meh.

Horses for courses, of course.

I was talking about LR. ACR, the interface and in the ways it differs to LR is significant. Sure the underlying tool functionality, what can be compared, is mostly the same, but ACR is archaic, much more difficult to use (like Photoshop) and limited in capabilities compared to LR. So yeah, I would with you in calling it meh. In fact, that's being generous. While acknowledging the power and supremacy of Photoshop, I generally hate using that app. I've always found it to be archaic, poorly designed, inconsistently designed and unnecessarily complicated (an understatement).

The develop tool in LR and ACR (from Bridge or PS) are identical in terms of capabilities. The only difference is in how these capabilities are arranged on the user interface.

PS is very complex. Maybe it could be a little simpler but in reality a measure of user interface complexity is inevitable when dealing with so many non-trivial functions. There are tools with simpler user interfaces out there but you trade off control.  PS has a steep learning curve, true, but it rewards you greatly if you take the time to learn it.

-- hide signature --

Ciao!
Roberto
My photos: http://rdmfashionphoto.com/

roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow