Cormorants Are A Tough Bird

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nbklaw
nbklaw Regular Member • Posts: 180
Cormorants Are A Tough Bird

I'm fortunate in that my office overlooks a river with docking facilities, a restaurant on the other side, a boat ramp, etc. so I can grab my camera and walk a few hundred feet out to the water during the day. At various times of the year, there might be geese, ducks, Great Blue Herons, gulls of different types, and even eagles and ospreys.  Also included are cormorants.  I find them very hard to capture because they are dark in color and they are fast as hell!  My keeper rate for cormorants is pretty low. Frequently they fly just above the water, and they are definitely the fastest flyer I've seen around here. A quick google search reveals that they can fly 35-45 mph, which sounds about right.  They haven't been around much during the summer, but they seem to be returning now.  The way I am positioned, birds are flying more or less straight at me, and then directly perpendicular. It is definitely good BIF practice.  As we go into fall, I should be able to take advantage of the increased BIF activity out back and get some good practice in. These cormorants pictured were around earlier in the year.

nbklaw's gear list:nbklaw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 77D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow