14-24 lens woes - Internal moisture. How to fix?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
net1994 Contributing Member • Posts: 624
14-24 lens woes - Internal moisture. How to fix?

Hello all – My 14-24 Nikon lens is having issues because of a fall onto rocks.. The zoom ring is pretty much locked. I can force it to rotate to 17mm, but after that nothing. But auto focus and manual focus works like normal and pictures still are sharp. I need to use it in the next 4 weeks or so and will hold off (probably) sending it in for Nikon repair. It’s pretty much a prime lens only at the moment, ha! However my biggest worry is there seems to be moisture inside the lens somewhere. When I take pics with it, there is now a huge haze circle in the center of each pic. Not a lens flare issue. I’m assuming there is moisture inside causing this. A local camera shop said I could put it in a zip lock bag filled with rice to absorb some of the moisture, if present. However I’d be very worried that some of the rice dust/husks will actually get inside the lens and make things worse. Thinking the weather sealing is compromised because moisture got in anyway. Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

My Photography website = Happy time for your eyes:
http://www.paintbypixels.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow