Sigma vs Sony - Sunrise

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 10,875
Sigma vs Sony - Sunrise

This morning I took a ride down to the beach and shot the sunrise. Here is a pair of photos I shot, as an experiment.

This "comparison" is not quite fair. I shot the second photo hand-holding the Sony, while the Sigma was mounted on a tripod. I shot these with different lenses too (but with OS turned on for the handheld shot). I manual focused both with magnifying focus assist and the rear screen. They were both easy to focus clearly.

Both shots are OOC jpegs.

I just thought I'd post these so people could see the difference . . . not that the difference is really meaningful. A little post-processing of each image could make the colors look totally different, and less sharpening for one or the other would make a significant difference to the appearance of detail. So why did I post them? I think it's interesting to see a pair of photos shot at almost the exact same time from similar cameras (25.5 MP Sigma with H size sensor and 24 MP Sony with full-frame sensor). Unfortunately I don't have two Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX Macro lenses . . . not that it would be a fair comparison then anyway, since the Sony would then be offering a wider angle of view. I guess I'd need two tripods then too.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony a7 Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow