Still the BEST $500 camera I've ever bought.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
doni Contributing Member • Posts: 783
Still the BEST $500 camera I've ever bought.

...with a caveat that it was a one time promotion (i think). But definitely worth it.

The Blackmagic URSA (full size) - with all its known limitations - is still the best bang for the buck video camera in recent memory.

Even in today's standards its price point to performance is one of the best in the market. Very simple set up for most low budget shoots. I use main monitor (10 in screen) and one of the 5 inch monitors to look at the scopes. 1st AC uses the third monitor, and only 1 monitor to set up (via SDI) for video village. Unless shooting outdoors, I do not find the need for a viewfinder - monitors are more than bright enough. On board mic is more than enough for sound syncing purposes. XLR ports are usable, but barely used in most shoots.

For it's price, the video I get is more than worth the purchase price.

Here are some screen grabs from a this weekend's project (colors don't match yet, was taking screenshots while reviewing footage and playing around resolve).

While the Alexa continues to be my favorite (widely available and cheap enough to rent when a project needs it), this camera - along with the trusty old Sony F3 - is a camera that budget conscious DPs/Cinematographers can realistically own.

Anyone still use this camera around here? How has it treated you?

-doni

-- hide signature --

...in matters of grave importance, style not sincerity is the vital thing - Oscar Wilde

doni's gear list:doni's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow