Sure, A73 vs A7R3. But what about the glass?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrGrinch New Member • Posts: 6
Sure, A73 vs A7R3. But what about the glass?

Drooling over A73 or A7R3. But most discussions don't really talk about lenses. I'd like to know more about that. So please help.

First, my photography history. I had a Pentax ME super, for a very long time. Then had kids and put it away. A few years ago I got a Sony A5000. Really happy. So, I'm a hobbyist having fun. Mostly photograph large static stuff (landscapes, city scapes). Biggest challenges have to do with dynamic range. Would love the extra bits/pixel in the a7?3's.

Now, here are my assumptions. Please correct me.

First, lens quality. The A73 is almost always sold with a F4-ish lens and the A7R3 usually is sold with a F2-ish lens. Faster is better is more expensive? And fixed lenses are even better. I assume if I really want nice images I assume I should be buying nice lenses. If I buy a couple of lenses, or even get some old nice lenses on ebay or something, the difference in the cost of the body isn't really that much, is it?

Next, file size. I don't know that I need 42MP but being able to crop images would be nice and there'd be less need for a zoom lens, which aren't as good as fixed lenses, .... so maybe 42MP has other benefits?

While not often, I enjoy taking night shots. I read that the A73 is slightly better with regard to noise. But wouldn't a better lens, which would allow for a lower iso, make just as much difference?

Maybe the bottom line here is no matter what, plan on good lenses?

Sony a5000 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow