Upgrading from the D3300?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheElixan New Member • Posts: 6
Upgrading from the D3300?

Hello wise people of dpreview, I have come to seek your advice.
For the last 4-5 years I have been heavily using the Nikon D3300 amaturely for starters and more professionally in the last 2 or so years. I was lucky to have chosen this camera without knowing at the time what a beast it is for it's price range.

Surprisingly enough it still meets my needs to this day for the most part, as the tiny second-world country I live in doesn't offer too much competition. A couple of fast glass lenses and it's 60fps offers enough quality and aesthetic to please almost every customer, from wedding photography to corporate events and commercials.
None the less it does have its borders, especially when you start dialing the ISO over 800, or attempting to use the autofocus for video recording. I believe it's time for an upgrade.
That being said, as you may imagine my budget is VERY tight, as  with the local prices it takes me several times longer to make the same amount of cash I would in a better off country. I'm pretty sure I'm destined for a mid-range second-hand dslr/mirrorless.
Whether it's to be a high end crop frame, or an entry level full frame, I'm still in debate, as I'm noticing that the difference between to is becomeing less and less obvious. The feature I'm certain I need is at least 50fps (this semi slo mo has become a part of my style and portfolio), decent low light performance as i shoot quite often in dark surroundings.
The sony mirrorless linups keep me excited, with models like the a6500, a7ii, a7sii and the like. They are all amazing, but I suspect it will take about a year for them to start being sold here second hand. Currently we only have a7ii and a7s and they are falling behind on some of the specs (IBIS, 60fps, or just plain expensive lenses).
I know there are people way more geeky (wise) than me on here, and I'm fishing for some advice on what to look for. Perhaps there is an entire other lineup or brand that fits my needs that I haven't look in yet..
Thanks for taking the time to consider my rant <3

Nikon D3300 Sony a6500 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow