Have you noticed?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Senior Member • Posts: 2,642
Have you noticed?

The entire non-pro camera market is reeling from the onslaught of cell-phones.

Yet the camera manufacturers (ALL Japanese) are investing a lot in new models to fight over a declining market. I'm amazed at the pace of new product releases when sales fall every year. Looks like there's going to be a brand blood-bath.

Meanwhile, my Google Pixel 2 takes amazing photos in good light. And NONE of the major cellphone manufacturers are Japanese. They tried but were pushed out.

When industrial Japan pulled itself out of the ashes of WW2, camera makers were a big part of that. Also consumer audio and TV. The Japanese have given up on flat-panel TVs as well.

They seem to be missing out on 21st-century consumer technology.

Maybe there is a nationalistic pride and stubbornness in what we are seeing the Japanese camera companies doing to each other? If this was China or Korea, the government might be picking a few "winners" among the bunch of companies...

I'm not a Japan expert (although I've been there many times and love the country and its people), so maybe wrong on this.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow