Why I'm Rethinking Olympus: Reliability Questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,865
Why I'm Rethinking Olympus: Reliability Questions

I am happy with the results I get for my work using EM1.1s. So are my clients.

I've been happy with the features and performance of the cameras.

One thing I am not happy with is having 2 EM1.1s suffer electronics failure in as many months. No damage to the cameras and they are treated very well. Just up and died, both in the middle of a shoot.

I turned to my old E series DSLRs to complete a job this weekend, and they too gave indication of electronics failure.

I can't have cameras shutting down on me in the middle of a job.

A big reason for going with the EM1 was to use my existing 4/3 lenses (especially the 50-200). I really want to continue to use my 12-60 and 50-200 lenses, but not enough to face the prospect of less than ideal reliability. So now I'm at the point of considering that since there seems to be some indication that Panasonic has a better track record for reliability, switching to Panny and putting out the extra funds for m4/3 native lenses earlier than planned.

I'd appreciate some feedback regarding Panasonic reliability. Past threads seem to show more complaints about Olympus, but many of these relate to lug failure and covers peeling off rather than electronics issues (cameras dying, dials not working, on/off issues etc.), so I'd appreciate feedback concerning that specifically.

Yes, I am considering going with Sony or Nikon FF milc as well, since I was going to add FF to my m4/3 kit, but now I'm considering just replacing m4/3 altogether due to this reliability issue.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://eyeguessphotography.com

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow