Lenses for crop sensors are they a scam ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ActionPhotoPassion Contributing Member • Posts: 711
Lenses for crop sensors are they a scam ?

Hello,

I will go to the wedding of a friend very soon but as the aerial company is considering that the suit in its bag is already 1 cabin bag,  I won't be able to take my backpack with some gear.

So I have decided to go very light. I don't want to worry much about the camera or lens while dancing and celebrating,  and I don't want to carry heavy nor cumbersome.

I think I'll go with the minolta 50/1.7 on the A58.

But I was also thinking of the dt 35/1.8... And that is where my mind got lost...

So the lens is a 35mm @f1.8,  but on a crop sensor body it has the field of view of a  52mm and the aperture is always slower than f1.8

Now let's put this kind of lens on a FF body what we got ?  Either the body will switch to crop sensor with FOV of a 52mm and we won't get the f1.8,  either we will get 35mm with huge vignetting and I hope the f1.8 aperture.

So the question is the following: why/how manufacturers are able to label a lens with a focal length or an aperture not useable in reality ... ? Can't this be considered as a scam ?  How can it be "legal"  ?

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +15 more
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow