Do these FoCal results make sense??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Woodenfish Regular Member • Posts: 292
Do these FoCal results make sense??

I've had the Tamron 150-600 G2 for 1 1/2 yrs now. I have never used the TAP in console, because I have never been able to get microfocus results that I trust. Today, we had really clear skies and bright sun, so I decided to set my camera and PC up and give FoCal a fresh try. If I was not able to get good results from the program, I tried re-calibrating at that focal length to see if it would improve. As you can see, I got quite different results on repeat tests. These tests were all performed in the same time period, with the same camera setup and no target movement. The target to lens distance was 80 Ft (about 24 1/2 M). Here's the results:

600 mm test 1 -2 poor confidence

600 mm test 2 +1 good confidence

600 mm test 3 +2 good confidence

500 mm test 1 +3 good confidence

500 mm test 2 +4 excellent confidence

400 mm test 1 -1 good confidence

400 mm test 2 +1 excellent confidence

300 mm +5 excellent confidence

200 mm test 1 -3 acceptable confidence

200 mm test 2 -6 acceptable confidence

150 mm -3 excellent confidence

What concerns me about these results is the variation from test to test under the exact same conditions, and the fact that there is no pattern from the long end to the short end. Are these results typical? Should I use them with the TAP in console to adjust my lens?

Thanks

-- hide signature --
 Woodenfish's gear list:Woodenfish's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow