Traveling light with the A6500

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP CE3 Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: Changed my mind. Traveling less light now.

snapa wrote:

CE3 wrote:

After further deliberation, I’ve decided to take the A7rii with the 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 28-75 instead. Just two zooms..no primes.. which is a simpler setup and still very manageable for size and weight. Thanks again for all the feedback everyone. It gave me a lot to think about and helped me make my decision.

Good idea, as long as you keep your FE70-300G, you should be just fine. If you ever did want or need a good low light prime, which lens would you consider? If you never plan on shooting in very low light (for any reason), then I guess you don't need a fast prime lens.

But, if you ever did need a fast prime (which you might some day), which one would you consider and why? Owning at least one very good fast f1.8 prime would probably be a good idea, just in case you ever needed one, IMHO.

Thanks Snapa, I do own some fast primes, I was just trying to decide what gear to take on this one trip.

Since I’ve decided to go with the A7rii body, the Batis 25 would be the prime I’d take. But I’ll have a tripod for night and lowlight shots, so I don’t think the Batis is necessary. The Tamron is 2.8 and even the 16-35 f4 should do well with those scenes on a tripod. The 70-300 is definitely not coming along. I guess I could still bring the 55-210 since it’s so small and use in crop mode. Haven’t done that before. We’ll see. This is a trip where I’m not renting a car, I’ve got flights to 3 different cities and I’ll be using public transit a lot, so I need to be more mindful about what I pack.

CE3's gear list:CE3's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
CE3
CE3
CE3
CE3
CE3
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow