Just saying.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 7,564
Just saying.

When I used film, I ran 3 systems. 135, 120 and 5x4. It was quite normal for passionate photographers to run two systems. In London at least, there was an abundance of cheap second hand gear, and stuff stayed current and usable for years. Each of my three systems took care of different subjects and interests.

Fast forward to digital. At the moment there is a whole lot of talk about cameras costing €2000 or much more.

If you are a professional or need some special aspect of one of these new cameras; well stop reading and pass onto something more interesting. If you do photography for your own personal pleasure, then read on.

I just want to propose another idea for using the camera hobby slush fund.

If you have already a M43 kit why not think about doing FF on the cheap. Think about those areas of your photography to see if there is a better fit than what you can do with M43. For example, I wanted to do architecture and craved after a PC lens that does not exist in M43. With FF there is a far subtler colour palette and of course it has an advantage in low light. I picked up a D700, a 28PC and a nice 24-120 zoom for less than €1000. The same lenses with a more current D750 would still be had for less than €2000.

If you do not have M43 then a nice lightweight kit can be thrown together surprisingly cheaply. A second hand EM5 goes for €250 where I live. Panasonic bodies also loose value like this too. Lenses can be had quite economically too. The image quality from these “cheepys” is almost indistinguishable from the latest models. M43 has made travel photography more fun for me.

And so we could go on.

I believe you can have much more fun with your photography in this way, and I think the images you come back with by having two complimentary systems will improve too.
My main system remains M43, but the FF addition has opened up a lot of interesting avenues.

Here are some examples:

GX1 +100-300. A cheap SH body and a consumer lens. I won a challenge here with this. The Levee was closed to traffic. I knew where I wanted to take the shot and had to walk an hour. M43 was the perfect choice for this shot.

28 PC lens. Cost me €200. M43 is missing a PC lens. No software Correction is different.

The colour and shadow is more subtle with my FF. This is important for some subjects.

Face recognition and EVF made taking concert pictures easy.

M43 perfect for a 10 hour hike

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow