#Arkive: CK's Lens Post: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1000mm f/8

Started Sep 14, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 6,242
#Arkive: CK's Lens Post: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1000mm f/8

I have this lens in hand for nearly (or even over) a decade. I did not use it much because of a serious problem as shown below. Asahi (nor Pentax) released its first SLR with pentaprism Asahi Pentax S in 1958, a Takumar 1000mm f/8 was in Asahi's catalogue. It is odd that Asahi used triplet for such a long lens as the triplet design is known to be not very suitable for long focal length telephoto lens. This lens was made between 1958 and 1964. This is version one.

In 1965, Asahi released the replacement, named Tele-Takumar 1000mm f/8, a 5E/5G design, perhaps a tweak of the triplet. This lens was made between 1965 and 1971. Then, version 3 appeared, which is just a version 2 plus super-multi-coating coating. Thus, the lens name becomes Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1000mm f/8. Note that it is Super-Multi-Coated rather than SMC that appeared in later lenses.

It is said that each version of 1 and version 2 was only made 300+ copies. Version 3 is the most popular version, which was made between 1971 and 1975. Version 3 is the lens I have.

The following two images show the lens on a a MOVO GH1000 double Gimbal fork-mount tripod head. However, due to its length (728mm), I have to add a monopod to the camera (Sony A7II) in order to stabilize the setup. The lens itself weighs 5.5kg, not very heavy.

This is the front of the lens. Please note the Super-Multi-Coated mark.

This lens has aperture setting from f/8 to f/45. So, I took an image at each aperture. Please note that it was windy while I was taking photos and changing lenses, sensor became dirty. I did not have much time to clean it up; but, fortunately, image quality can still be evaluated because none of the dusts was in a crucial area.

The following images have the subject slightly more than 800m from the shooting position, a good subject for testing testing image quality at infinity. As you can see from these images, internal reflection is rather significant. As the aperture is closing down, the brighter circle at the center (i.e., hot spot) of each image due to internal reflection gets smaller and more intense. As a result, the contrast of that area is reduced significantly. Image quality is rather good; but CA appears in every image.

800m at f/8

800m at f/11

800m at f/16

800m at f/22

800m at f/32

800m at f/45

The following are images for 600m focus distance. Details are there, which means resolution is not so bad; however, that hot spot and CA are horrible.

600m at f/8

600m f/11

600m at f/16

600m f/22

600m f/32

600m at f/45

These are representative of all images I took. Note that the details in darker areas are also rendered well. Shorter distance results are the same and will not be shown here unless people want to see it.

I hope some day I could find a copy of version 1 (i.e., triplet version) to shoot with. I am really curious about this long focal length triplet design, although I won't have high hope. Playing odd things has been my favorite throughout of my photographic career.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow