Disappointed - is it me?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 263
Disappointed - is it me?

I am/was new to Fuji.  Based on posts I read here about the quality of 1) Fuji APS-C lenses (as opposed to what I have read about Sony APS-C lenses); b) Fuji build quality and C) image quality of the X-trans sensor, I bought an X-T2 with the 18-55 kit lens (on sale now).  I returned them this week.  Here are some of the reasons why.  Please don't turn this post into a war of words that Bob has to shut down like last time when I asked a "simple" question about post-processing RAFs.

First, let me just say that I was looking at the APS-C systems out there as an upgrade to my 1" sensor, Sony RX100, without going full frame - something in between, both in terms of IQ, as well as weight (12 oz vs 50 oz).  My intended use was travel and backpacking/landscapes.

1) lens:  As I said above, the great prevailing view on this forum is that the build quality (of lens and body) of Fuji is first class and a notch above the competition.  However, what I found with the 18-55 (more expensive than most kit lenses) was the opposite.  It was sharp in the center, but very soft on the edge/corners - to the point that the images from my RX100 were much better.  At first I thought this was "sample variation" (one reads a lot about this on the Sony APC-S forum) - but isn't Fuji's QC better than this?  Then I heard/read others have also not had the best experience with the 18-55.  This is not a cheap "kit" lens by any means ($500 - 600 on its own).  I tried several different f stops, but most often 5.6 - 8).

2) focus:  most of the photos I took with the AF (landscapes) were not in focus!  I even tried manual and it wasn't much better.  Maybe this is operator error, I don't know.  I admit I was just taking it out of the box and basically shooting with the default settings.  But then a google search turned up several posts where others had had this problem with Fujis and with this lens, in particular.

3) noise/grain:  Again - this could be operator error.  I shot at base ISO (200) using basic default camera settings.  I brought the RAFs into Lightroom (current subscription version) which appeared to work just fine.  But with just a little magnification, one could easily see noise/grain.  Again, my RX100 did better.  After my question on PP, I tried the free Iridient X-transformer.  I just used their default settings (as others never mentioned any particular setting for using this program) to generate the DNG - imported that into Lightroom and it was rather blurry - much worse than LR alone.  Not the performance of this greatly touted sensor that I was expecting.

Don't get me wrong here.  As far as handling, I loved the XT2 - the build quality, the fit, the WR, etc.  Almost like a little brother to my Nikon Df (but of course they are very different cameras).  The 18-55 felt solid - not plasticy like most lenses these days.  I really wanted this to work out.  But I only had the 30 day grace period to evaluate it, so I couldn't do endless experiments to confirm what was going on. And should I have to? - or should I expect some level of performance straight out of the box that can be later improved with system experience?

So, how common are these problems?  Did I get a "lemon".  Did I really not know what I was doing and screwed it up?  I would certainly be open to giving Fuji another try if I thought the outcome would be very different (before all the X-T2s disappear), as I did like the feel of it that much.

Thx in advance for your "civil" input - GT

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +5 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Df Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
JNR
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow