23mm 1.4f v 2.0f

Started Sep 12, 2018 | Discussions thread
ClaudiusTheGod Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: 23mm 1.4f v 2.0f

markusw wrote:

DangerouslyCheesey wrote:

El Jeffe wrote:

The f/2 focus is very fast and quiet. This is the main reason for my purchase even though it makes the X100s redundant.

Smaller lens, less weight, weather resistant, and lower price tag. What's not to love?

I guess the f/1.4 can give you more blur, but a lens of this focal length is often used for the style of photography that requires greater depth of field.

I agree, I think a 35mm equivalent view is not an ideal big bokeh length anyway, so might as well go with the faster focusing, smaller, lighter and water resistant f2. There is also a not insignificant price difference which you would probably be better off putting toward a fast lens like the 56mm 1.2 or 90mm f2.

Disagree, somehow... A 23 is a perfect all-around-lens, and you may need some ability for subject isolation. Here, fast aperture helps a lot! Or you want to include some blurred foreground.

Had a 35mm f2.8 (FF) on the A7 and really wished it would be f2.

Exactly- the wider the lens the closer you can get in on the action or subject and the wider the aperture the more you can isolate that action or subject.

A wide aperture lens in those circumstances allows us to choose how much context we want to reveal, and how much we want to pop the subject.

Also a stop in not so good light can make the difference between an acceptable photo and an unnacceptable one.

ClaudiusTheGod's gear list:ClaudiusTheGod's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon Df +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow