M43 is finished?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 7,145
M43 is finished?

I have just got back from my holidays in the Valle d’Aosta, a rather scenic part of the Italian Alps. In common with the other days out to historic monuments and cities, I see ever less people visiting these places with a “proper camera”. I cannot recall seeing anybody on my travels this year with a camera bag. In touristic locations I just see people taking pictures with cell phones.

The people I see with a “proper camera” are mostly using a Nikon D3*** sort of camera with a kit zoom. Indeed, I have found that my D700 and the kit 24-120 or my little LX100 slung over my shoulder is not a bad solution for trips out with the family. The camera bag with my full M43 kit remains ever more often in the car on family outings.

I suppose I am part of an ever-dwindling minority who are passionate about photography and like to use the right tools to come home with the best pictures possible. I have found M43 to be the best fit for my photography. I also have a Blog and I like to use the best photography that I can muster to illustrate it.

I love hiking and the compactness of my M43 kit means I can take a full range of lenses without the weight problems I had with my old D300 kit. The M43 sensor gives me more than good enough image quality.

IBIS opened a whole lot of doors for the photography that I like to take in dark old Italian monuments. The IBIS in my EM5 revolutionised my photography. A hand held 1600ISO image taken at 1/15 was used for a large poster to promote an exhibition in Vienna earlier this year. This tells me a lot about the image quality that M43 is capable of.

The return from the holidays was greeted with the news that Nikon and Canon are going mirrorless, which means smaller, lighter and more manageable FF bodies from the two biggest players. I presume DX bodies will follow in due course for the D3**** market. A Z6 with a 12-120 F4 type zoom seems a very interesting proposition even for my hiking photography where M43 is the only sensible solution at the moment.

This article by Hogan is quite chilling for those of us who are committed to the M4 3 system. I do not see things ending well for M43 quite frankly.

Taken that the vast majority of those who still buy interchangeable lens cameras never go beyond the kit lens, I see a huge shake out in the camera world when the price of mirrorless FF starts to fall or when Nikon and Canon go mirrorless with APSC. With less than 10% of market share in a visibly shrinking market, I fear that M43 even though it is the most logical solution for most of those who wish to buy a ILC camera has not got a great future, which is very sad.

The best solutions do not always win.

Not a camera in sight.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
iau
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow