Superzoom camera or Tamron 15-600mm lens w/Sony a55 for wildlife?

Started Sep 12, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mattb3rt New Member • Posts: 17
Superzoom camera or Tamron 15-600mm lens w/Sony a55 for wildlife?

I have a Sony a55 DSLR with an 18-250mm lens, and I'd like a longer reach for birding/wildlife shots. On a budget of roughly $600, I can either purchase a new superzoom (Nikon P900, Canon SX60, etc) or a used Tamron 150-600mm lens for the a55. I'm not a professional or a pixel-peeper, I rarely bother with RAW, and if a photo looks good in fullscreen on my 27" PC monitor then I'm satisfied.

What I like about a superzoom camera: one lens for all situations; relatively small and light, so I'd be more likely to take it with me on any given outing and have it ready for whatever opportunities arise ("the best camera is the one you have with you"). What I don't like: all the drawbacks that come with a smaller sensor.

What I like about the 150-600mm lens: all the benefits of a DSLR such as better image quality and low-light performance. What I don't like: due to its bulk and size, I'd be unlikely to have it with me unless I am almost certain to take shots that require it (such as a trip to Yellowstone). In most situations I'd still use my 18-250mm lens.

mattb3rt's gear list:mattb3rt's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow