No need to be in denial about IBIS Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,141
No need to be in denial about IBIS

I don't want to create tension but I do laugh to myself at how IBIS denial is happening since  the announcement of the X-T3. I've seen, across many sites, some Fuji owners arguing that IBIS is only really needed for video, not really needed for portraits, and all sorts of nonsense. I can only assume this is folks who are about to, or who have already pre-ordered the X-T3, who are in some kind of denial. By all accounts the X-T3 is a formidable camera - it sounds really great and I hope it does well for Fuji. I am a Fuji fan - I've been on board since the X100 and now shoot with three Fuji bodies. But come on, IBIS only for video? Not useful for portraits? Not needed because of the BSI sensor?

Or I hear the argument - I've not needed/used IBIS so I will never need it. Really?! Well you've never used the new AF system on the X-T3 so how come you need it? Just because you have lived without something doesn't mean you won't benefit from it.

My alternative system is a Sony a99ii, which has a mature 5-axis IBIS. It's phenomenal, and useful even on a camera like that which has amazing high ISO performance. Shooting long tele lenses at low shutter speeds or hand-holding lenses in low light conditions where tripods are forbidden can be priceless. By all means sing the praises of the X-T3 - rightly so, as it looks amazing, but don't be in denial about the value of IBIS - it is great, and with the 16-55 2.8, 56 and 90 Fujis is a game-changer.

So there's no need for X-T3 purchasers to be in denial about IBIS -the new camera is still awesome. But I think it's right that Fuji fans put pressure on Fuji to get IBIS into more than just the X-H line in the future - if they can squeeze it into an X-T body they will really give the competitors a run for their money.

Just my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow