Sensor size: future of camera market

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KLO82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,112
Sensor size: future of camera market

I think within 10 years, the camera market segmentation will look like this:

Full frames: mirrorless and DSLRS. Targeted to professionals and advanced amateur photographers.

APS-C: Mirrorless only. DSLRs will be obsolete in this segment. Small and light ILCs with small and light lenses (mostly zooms). Targeted to people who want to carry a camera to record their daily/ family life, social events, travel etc and some portraits. Some fixed lens cameras too. These cameras will be very easy and intuitive to use and get good results. JPEG engine will be much more intelligent. Will have better options to share photos on social media/ internet very quickly and easily.

1": fixed lens light and pocketable mirrorless cameras. These are for people who want to record their daily/ family life, social events, travel etc, but do not want the size and weight of traditional cameras. Some cameras will be superzooms (not pocketable). Basically same as current cameras but may have better option to share photos in social media/ internet. JPEG engine will be much more intelligent.

All other sensors within this range will be obsolete unless they morph to cater similar target markets (I am thinking about m4/3).

I don't have much idea about cameras with larger than FF sensors, and smaller than 1" - so no idea what is going to happen to those.

KLO82's gear list:KLO82's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow