Video setup and accessories for Sony A7rii and Rx100mkV

Started Sep 11, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Kris_Holmes81 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Video setup and accessories for Sony A7rii and Rx100mkV

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on video setups and accessories for maximising the video capabilities of my current equipment. In the past with my old Canon setups I've pretty much avoided taking videos (no particular reason) and just stuck to stills photography, mainly landscapes (hence my lens selection). However, I bought these Sony cameras with their video capabilities in mind and with the birth of my first child I'd like to capture some candid footage of him as he grows.

Current equipment:

Sony A7r2 camera with following lenses:

• Zeiss Batis 18mm;
  • Sony 16-35mm F4;
  • Sony 24-105mm F4G;
  • Sony Zeiss Sonnar T 55mm f1.8 ZA;
  • Canon 100-300L adapted with Sigma MC-11 

Sony Rx100mkV

Likely/potential filming scenarios (I'd like to shoot 4k wherever possible):

• relatively static family events, inside and and outside. 
  • active outside events, such as at the beach, walking/hiking, first person point of view type video. Following a child as they walk
  • travel - I always take my cameras with me when travelling
  • Lastly, potentially some wedding video footage of speeches and general ambient situation footage and guest messages. Not too fancy, unpaid, and I wont promise them anything!

Specific questions:

• Other than the 55mm, my lenses were mainly purchased with landscapes in mind. Any suggestions for a good all-round video lens for the A7r2. I'm comfortable with either Sony or 3rd party lenses?
  • Any simple guides for how to get your camera settings optimised for smooth video? e.g. shutter speed?
  • What is the max video length for 4k footage from the A7r2 - or is it more limited by camera temperature? I live in Australia, it gets very hot in Summer. I know that the rx100mkv is limited to 5 minutes per clip.
  • Following on, I understand that camera heating during 4k filming can be overcome by using an external recorder - true? If so, suggestions for a good brand/model? Can the rx100mkv output to an external recorder over its HDMI port?
  • A7r2 has a mic input, rx100mkv does not. Suggestions for an all-round but small  microphone? Mainly for capturing nearby noise sources such as talking?
  • If I end up with an external recorder and an external mic, I'm gonna need something to attach these two right? Do i need a small rig or can I attach everything to the camera? I currently have a RRS L bracket always on the camera.
  • I'm interested in buying a gimbal. I've read good things about Zhiyun models. Anyone suggest one that would work well with both my cameras without being overkill? I know that camera weight is the major determinant of gimbal size required. Perhaps even just a suggestion for the rx100mkv
  • Lastly, keen to hear opinions on whether the A7r3 is a worthwhile upgrade to the A7r2 given my look to expand into more video.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Kris

Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow