Fuji X70 or XF 10?

Started Sep 9, 2018 | Discussions thread
KKJohn
KKJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,131
My use of the XF10 in the last few weeks

dmaclau wrote:

I tried the XF10 but it didn't work for me. However I suspect a lot of it is me. Touch screens seem to hold opportunities for photographers, and perhaps do for some. One thing to keep in mind is that you always touch the screen, particularly on a small pocketable camera. Every time I touched the screen it changed things. My focus point would be in one of the corners, my JPG simulation would be changed, I'd be in M focus and so on.

Disabling the touch screen dramatically reduces the function "button" points and thus changes the nature of the camera.

One other thing, was a major concern. I at first believed I was getting a slight bit of motion blur but it turned out that the images were very very soft. This didn't seem to happen all the time surprisingly but it happened often.

I don't know for sure but believe the 18mm lens is different to the X70.

I had high hopes.

I'm looking for a good used GRii that I might try without spending all of my money.

I have both X70 and XF10. The X70 I've had for almost 2 years and have used it as my carry everywhere camera. Has been great for everyday use and street. But have been waiting for the X80 to come out and was hoping the XF10 was that.

But it is not unfortunately, tho does have some upgraded and useful features. I've been using the XF10 for a few weeks now, and it has good and bad points. I've put away the X70 for the time being as I wanted to concentrate on the XF10. The good points include the snap shot, tho wish there was a 1m distance on it. I'm still trying to get comfortable with it as I've never used a GRii. I assigned it to the Fn button which disables the MF mode which I use a lot. Not too big a problem, once you realize it, as is easy to get out of Snap shot, but just a bit annoying. I'm still not used to the touch screen features and in fact recently have disabled it, tho do use it when I want to get into MF, which works well, better than the XT100 which I tried for a while but didn't like. One problem on the XF10 is that the focus point seems to change down into one corner. This is annoying and have to use the joy stick to get the focus back to the middle. I've also been using the auto mode (SR+) which has been useful, and seems better than the X70 and other Fuji X cameras. It is reasonably quick and in good light it is very good. However in many situations it goes down to 1/30 or 1/25 which for this old fogey with unsteady hands can be a problem. The minimum speed should be at least 1/60. Hope Fuji can fix this in an update. Also, in some of the other auto modes the same thing. So I've been going back to Aperture mode, which is my preferred shooting style anyway, and this works much better, particularly in low light.

But the XF10 has some neat features and when used as a P&S it is fun to use. Some of the filters are interesting to use and the camera is generally pretty responsive. The IQ seems pretty good, tho is indeed a little soft, more than the X70 IMO. But I'm not a pixel peeper so not too worried. For a street camera it has been good but Fuji still has a ways to go to get it up to a really useful standard, hopefully approaching the X100 series quality without the expense. Still it is great to have a camera that's not too expensive with good IQ that I can whip out of my pocket at any time and snap away with every chance of success in capturing useful and fun images.

Still doesn't have the WOW factor that my original Fuji camera, the X10, had, but glad Fuji is continuing to produce these types of cameras and not just the higher end XT3s. And I will stick with my XT10 and my few nice lenses, primes (35/1.4 and 60), plus my XC kit zooms, 16-50 and 50-230, (a great long zoom!)  for situations when I need better IQ out on special shoots. If I win the lottery, perhaps I would consider the XT3 or the X100F, but will wait for the X80 or some such camera which I hope will be next on Fuji's list, and I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Just a few thoughts on my use of the XF10 during the last month, on my 3 month vacation in B.C., Canada and will definitely keep using it as my street camera. Will post some images when I get them organized. But will also keep the X70 as it is a very useful camera, at least until the X80 comes out!

KKJohn's gear list:KKJohn's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow