Finally got the G85

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sgwelly Regular Member • Posts: 484
Finally got the G85

I was contemplating getting a m43 to supplement my DSLR. With a bad back, it is really tough carrying a 7Dii and all my lenses around on my back. I saw someone using a Fuji m43 once and his gear was so small and light and could do almost everything a DSLR could plus more. So, I shopped around and found the Panasonic G85 being closest to what I wanted and what I could afford at the moment.

Last week, I got the Panasonic G85 with the kit lens and the shop gave me the 45-150 at a bargain price as well. So I have everything from 12 to 150mm. What I am missing a wide angle lens and the m43 has a 2x crop factor.

I am also discovering moving from a Canon which I have used for over 20 years to a new make involves a steep learning curve. The controls and buttons are all in different places to start with. The menu is really confusing, not to mention some of the terminology used by the camera makers.

First impressions are, the camera is really light! Even with the lenses in my bag, it is still lighter than my 7D. The things I can’t get over is the ability to see the image on the VF as you change the setting. I am still getting used to seeing things in an EVF which is kind of “different”. I took some really nice sunsets over the weekend and wanted to get some silhouettes as well but for the life of me, I could not figure out how to get the shutter to operate when it is not able to focus. The lens does not have a manual/auto like the Canon lenses. I am sure I will be able to find that in the complicated manual. I love the idea of being able to take 4K shots and select the “one” that I want. Finally the ability to choose where the focus should be after a shot is taken.

I have yet to see any of this on my Mac as I have yet to get LR6. My LR5 is not reading the RAW images. I know I can use Adobe DNG but prefer to use LR for this. Just seeing my images on the camera’s LCD at the moment, makes me think I made the right choice. Over time, I suppose I will sell my DSLR set up once I know the m43 is right for me.

sgwelly's gear list:sgwelly's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow