Mitakon 35 f0.95 II owner. Is it worth getting XF 56 f1.2?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Fujijitsu
Fujijitsu Contributing Member • Posts: 750
Re: Mitakon 35 f0.95 II owner. Is it worth getting XF 56 f1.2?

I have the Fuji 35 f1.4, a manual Voigtlander 40mm f1.4, and the 60 f2.4, and I'm considering getting the 56.

I mainly shoot portraits, and the 60 needs much more working space, but the look is very different to the 35 and 40 due to greater 'compression' of the background.  Also the longer working distance of the 60 results in less distortion to facial features, which can be more flattering.

I think the 56 will be similar to the 60 for angle of view, and given enough space I prefer the longer focal lengths for portraits.  I would like the greater control over dof with the 56 f1.2 compared to the 60, and after looking through hundreds of images on Flickr I think the 56 has  a unique tonal quality that suits portraits.  So it combines the nice tones of the Voigtlander, with the tight dof of the Mitakon, the field of view of the 60 and the autofocus of the Fuji 35 - which for me sounds like a great lens for portraits.

Fujijitsu's gear list:Fujijitsu's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X-E2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow