Mitakon 35 f0.95 II owner. Is it worth getting XF 56 f1.2?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
JayPhizzt Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: Mitakon 35 f0.95 II owner. Is it worth getting XF 56 f1.2?

mandrago wrote:

I own a Mitakon 35mm f0.95 II and love its bokeh capabilities and background blur separation giving me a beautiful 3d ‘pop’ effect. I mainly use it indoors for family portraits always wide open and find it very addictive.

I wonder whether getting a XF 56 f1.2 would somehow be redundant to this lens giving me similar effect or would be much more distinctive than mitakon yields.

Another fact that brings me some doubts is 56mm narrower FOV hence not so versatile, being more restrictive to portrait and less environmental portrait situations.

Any thoughts?

In terms of DoF both lenses will be very similiar. I have the Mitakon, but I've never tested the 56/1.2. The Mitakon has a beautiful bokeh, but the 56/1.2 seems to have a really nice bokeh as well

In terms of image quality the 56/1.2 is probably a bit sharper and has more contrast. The Mitakon also of course gives you a bit more of a "vintage" look to the photos. Depends on your taste I'd say.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow