K-mount adapters for Pentax new-mount cameras

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Pearson
OP Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,723
Re: K-mount adapters for Pentax new-mount cameras

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

A long post - with lots of replies already, and only two days. I have not read them. Maybe what I write already have been said. I do not know, but here we go.

I see it like this.

Pentax main virtue is that a new camera shall be able to use (almost) all old lenses comfortable. This is impossible to maintain if there is more than one branch of camera mounts. Therefore, to keep this virtue there are only three possible paths forward.

At least four:

1. Do not care about MILC.
  2. Make some MILC with K-mount
  3. Skip making DSLR and switch to a short registration mount MILC entirely, using an adapter for K-mount lenses.

4: Continue to develop SLRs, but at a slower rate. Keep existing SLRs in production for longer. Have at least one new-mount mirrorless camera plus K-mount adapter.

See:

My new-mount mirrorless walk-around system

You mean - making no mirrorless lenses? Just a camera with adapter?

See what I said at my link above!

I suggested there that Pentax might start with a mid-range zoom with modest aperture. Then add other lenses over years.

Neither Canon nor Nikon expect to replace their existing lenses in the foreseeable future, if ever. It is obviously part of their plans to make the adapters attractive enough that they become routine equipment for many Canon and Nikon users. Light enough to slip into a jacket pocket!

Canon and Nikon are starting with mid-range zooms plus 35mm and 50mm primes. No long lenses. On Nikon's 2018/2019/2020 Z-mount-lens roadmap, the longest lens is a 70-200mm zoom. The second longest lens is an 85mm prime.

(I haven't seen Canon's equivalent roadmap).

Given that adapters will be strategic items for Canon and Nikon, and their users, I would expect the same from Pentax.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Ricoh WG-6 Panasonic LX100 Ricoh GR III Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 II +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow