Why all of the fuss about noise?

Started Sep 7, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,505
Why all of the fuss about noise?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm a bit older than some of you.  I grew up with film and developing B/W and dogging/burning.  Even thinking of it, I can still smell D76.

Yea, back to my point.  Having some grain in the photo gave texture.  Pictures didn't have to be perfect, they were an expression of life.

What I hear from my photo colleague enthusiasists is that you need full frame or at least APSc sensor to alliviate noise.  I've seen brilliant photos from smartphones.  And, if you have to go looking for noise, why?  I can understand that if it's distracting from the photograph.  But, I'd prefer a photo with some noise to one with bad composition, lighting, or simply boring subject matter.

I think that this is one of the reasons that some stay away from m4/3rd cameras because they fear noise and an imperfect image. Granted, I'm not a professional, simply a hobbiest. So, my income doesn't come from photography.  I'm not a photojornalist, or even wedding photographer, where images have to be blemish free. So,  I'm not looking for 'perceived' perfection.  I look for beauty, with all of it's warts.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow