Lightroom failure under non-ideal lighting conditions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,535
Re: Lightroom failure under non-ideal lighting conditions

Yes, humor Jim B (MSP) and try Auto ISO.

Off-camera flash outdoors is good, but not on-camera flash unless you set the Flash Exposure Compensation to -2 to -3 so that it acts as a gentle fill flash.

Lightroom's new Develop Module Basic's Panel Auto is pretty good but don't be afraid to make tweaks to the results.

If you want to see what you can do without the Auto button then this procedure has worked well for me for years.

Organization is important in the Develop Module. The Basic Panel controls are arranged in the top down order in that Adobe thinks is the best order to make adjustments, and it is a very good order to use, but not always the best. The order in which you make adjustments can vary, depending on the image. A good rule to use is to always correct the worst thing first then go back to the top down order.

One of the best editing work flows I have found is the Five Step Tango by Jack Davis.

http://www.creativelive.com/courses/five-step-tango-global-optimizing-jack-davis

Here is my modified version, but as I said earlier it is necessary to remain flexible in what order you apply changes to your images.

Five Step Tango for Lightroom by Jack Davis with Modifications

1. X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Camera Calibration and/or WB then Crop. If desired you can adjust the WB & Tint for artistic purposes but I only do this after setting the correct WB using the ColorChecker Passport or a WB card.

2. Auto - With a bit of tweaking this works about 80% of the time for "normal" images. If you don't like the results just smile and tweak the results or just hit Undo and make the adjustments manually.

3. Exposure - Adjust this for the mid-tones, not the highlights or shadows.

4. Check or set the Whites and/or Blacks. You can Auto set Whites and/or Blacks by using Shift plus double clicking Whites and/or Blacks. You can also hold down the Alt (Option) key while moving the sliders - this will display only the pixels that are overexposed or underexposed as appropriate.

5. Clarity
Shadows
Highlights

It is worth noting that adjusting any of the five exposure controls will have some effect on the other four. If you adjust the Highlights or Shadows after setting the Whites and Blacks you should recheck and tweak the Whites and Blacks if necessary.

6. Vibrance
Contrast if necessary

7. HSL - rarely

8. Creative Sharpening unless the image will be edited in a second program such as Photoshop
Noise Reduction, Noise Nija, etc. - rarely since I shoot mostly at ISO 100 or 200

9. Lens Corrections (this can be done on import if desired or delayed till this step)

10. Post-Crop Vignetting or Radial Gradient Filter for Vignetting
Add Grain - rarely

11. Edit in Photoshop, etc. as needed.

Tim Grey offers an alternative view to that of Jack Davis on developing images plus here is information on other areas of LR. Again, some of these are for LR 5 but the material is still relevant. There is also a fair bit of overlap between some of these but repetition is good for learning.

B&H - Tim Grey - Optimizing Photos in Lightroom - YouTube

B&H - Tim Grey - Optimizing and Sharing Photos With Lightroom 5

B&H - Tim Grey - Real-World Optimization in Lightroom CC 2015

B&H - Tim Grey - Using Lightroom & Photoshop Together

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow