5D Mark III: Best camera for ~$1000 in 2018?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
as9934 Forum Member • Posts: 85
5D Mark III: Best camera for ~$1000 in 2018?

I recently got a chance to use a Canon 5D Mark III to shoot a protest at my University and came away from the experience with a very favorable impression of the camera.

To give some context the lighting conditions were pitch black, with the only light provided by some harsh spotlights. Cops in riot gear, protestors and counter-protestors all clashed at various points throughout the night, with me stuck in between shooting. I was using with the Canon 16-35 2.8 L (Series 1) mainly at ISO 12,800, f2.8 and 1/200th and the files were pretty usable.

Currently, I shoot a Sony a6000, mainly with 50mm f1.8 and it works pretty well but there are some things I don't like including lack of weather sealing and dual card slots, relatively poor low light performance, the fact that it often locks up when shooting and the tiny grip.

I have been talking about buying a new camera for a couple of years now but, have been deterred by the obscene prices (at least for a student). I've been ogling the Sony A7 III and the Canon 5D Mark IV, but after using the 5D III I think it's 80 percent of those cameras.

With that in mind, I am heavily considering purchasing a used 5D Mark III on eBay, where they routinely go for around ~$1000 (I saw one with a 24-105 f4 go for $920 the other day). Here is why I think it may be better than the alternatives:

1. Better high ISO performance than most cameras at this price (measured by DXOMark, prices on eBay)

2. Robust weather sealing and proven durability

3. Dual cards

4. High quality and relatively inexpensive lenses (Series 1 L, Tamron, Sigma Art etc.)

5. The difference between 22.3 and 24mpx is negligible

6. Solid 1080p video and the option to expand to 4K with Magic Lantern

7. Great grip, buttons and menus

8. Pretty good AF, even in low light

9. Great battery life

10. It's the professional standard meaning someone probably has an extra battery or different lens at any given event. (It has the most World Press winning photos for 2018 , 2017, 2016 and 2015 . Anecdotally, I saw a least seven people shooting with a 5D III or IV at the protest, while only a few were on something else. Also my university is a Canon school, meaning I have access to basically all of the Series 1 L lenses).

So do you think my logic is sound, or am I missing something?

as9934's gear list:as9934's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS LG V10 +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow