6d Mark II inconsistent noise mystery

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
User1901888454 New Member • Posts: 8
6d Mark II inconsistent noise mystery

I've just picked up a 6d mark ii, coming from a 6d. I know all the talk about DR (which doesnt bother me much) and what not. I wanted to do this as my 6d is getting up there in shutter actuations and I've been doing more video lately. I really like the DPAF and flip screen for that. So the mark ii gives me my FF camera and video with great AF in one.

Just got back from a trip and the images in lightroom are a disaster. Some are wonderful and some are downright nasty. Disney pics often have challenging lighting conditions whether it be the sun or indoor areas that are poorly lit. However, i never went past ISO 12800 and some of these images are unusable. There also seems to be a focus issue with my 16-35 f4L but thats another story.

At 12800 images should certainly be usable, especially for snaps. I'm finding 12800 to be beyond the usable limit. However, the noise is also not consistent at a given ISO or across a range of ISO's. One at 12800 will be fine and another is a mess.

The other part that is baffling me is in Lightroom the CR2 file that is a noisy mess will look fine in Irfanview. Same file, zero edits.

I tested a shot i had with extreme dynamic range, shot from a ride, under cover out to bright florida sun. I intentionally pulled the exposure up 5 stops. Now normally you will get a load of noise but i was getting odd, irregular banding and lines in the shadow areas. I would expect some but not so random.

So is this some weird lightroom thing with these CR2 files or could this be a sensor issue? I can say that the noise was evident immediately upon viewing in lightroom. It's almost shocking how bad it is.

I've attached a screenshot of lightroom and irfanview next to each other with the same exact image each at 100%. does this make any sense?  Am i being unreasonable to think that 12800 in a camera with a new sensor and the latest image processor should be way better than this?  Plus some of the images as low as 1250 were a noisy mess as well.

left is lightroom

Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow