Canon Pro 100 - How to Cannabilize?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mac Contributing Member • Posts: 834
Canon Pro 100 - How to Cannabilize?

First time posting to this forum and has been long time since I posted anything on DPreview, usually within Nikon and Pentax forums.  Just returning to actively taking photos and printing.

I just put a new Canon Pro 100 into service and have been scouring these threads looking for tips and best practices, especially on refilling ink carts.  I picked up the printer maybe 4 - 5 years ago, probably like many others, in one of those bundle deals where the printer was practically free after rebates.  Amazing printer but expensive to operate, but that is singing to the choir!  That leads to the subject of this post.

I just picked up a couple of brand new Canon Pro 100's off the local Craigslist that were missing the ink carts and printheads.  Don't know all the details but appears some enterprising person purchased the printers, likely for next to nothing after rebates, and then sold the printhead and ink set separately which would probably yield close to $200 for each printer.  I only wanted one of the printers but was asked to take both because the owners no longer wanted to store, understandable given the size of these beasts.

My interest was having a set of OEM spare parts to scavenge if needed to keep my printer running if something broke in the future.  Due to the size of the machines, my preference would be to gut at least one of these, perhaps keeping the other intact.  Are there specific boards, motors or parts that are most prone to fail or have value?  Seems disrespectful to just put one of these on the curb for the trash man to haul away.

Ideas, suggestions?

Mac's gear list:Mac's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow