Metal Prints VS Paper prints, resolution, perceived sharpness, food for thought.

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jmw4 Regular Member • Posts: 132
Metal Prints VS Paper prints, resolution, perceived sharpness, food for thought.

Short brain-storm session.

I've been doing several comparisons with metal prints from different professional labs and have noticed they have a slight lack of sharpness compared to paper prints. The metal prints I'm experimenting with are dye-sub to the white glossy coated Chromaluxe panels. The paper prints I'm experimenting with are Kodak Endura Luster and Glossy.

I have only printed in 8x12 size so far. In every situation the prints have been printed at 300ppi. The Kodak papers always come out sharper than the Metal panels. I've read this to be the norm and the reason being that since it transfers the ink from the sublimation paper to the metal through heat and pressure, turning the ink into a gas and transferring it to the metal, that there will obviously be some lack of resolution compared to other types of prints. I read that the perceived resolution of metal prints was comparable to a paper print in the 180-200ppi range, therefore making metal prints a poor choice for small size prints.

So technically, taken all this information is accurate. A 20x30 print on paper at 200ppi should be about the same sharpness as a 20x30 print on metal at 200ppi?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow