Selections and Gaussian blur

Started Aug 27, 2018 | Discussions thread
OP Eliot Kramer Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: Selections and Gaussian blur

sabrina81 wrote:

Eliot Kramer wrote:

Sometimes, when I make a selection and use a Gaussian blur or similar filter on that selection it will take the pixels outside the selection and average/blur them in, so that the selection is contaminated, when in fact the reason I made a selection is to apply the filter only "inside".

It shouldn't do that. Try deleting your prefs file and launch PS so it can create a new prefs file. (Save a copy of the prefs file in case this doesn't fix the problem.)

EDIT: This is what should happen when you blur inside a selection:

If the blur strays outside the selection, something is buggy. As I suggested above, try getting rid of the preferences file and see if that kills the bug.

Something is not right.

Look at the bottom part of the rectangle. Things got blurs and the boundaries are respected.

Look at the top of the rectangle. The boundaries are NOT respected, the pixels got mixed in with a transparency I guess and now you can see THROUGH it to the underlying layer.

I don't understand how you can have non-transparent pixels in the bottom part and transparent in the top.

At the bottom it is  doing what I want it to. The top it is doing what I am trying to avoid, that is, make them semi-transparent or pull things in from the outside.

Now I am even more confused.

Eliot Kramer's gear list:Eliot Kramer's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow