Some mirrorless options for Pentax

Started Aug 25, 2018 | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,222
Re: To play the devil's advocate . . . time for another FF dSLR?

Barry Pearson wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

.... So . . . maybe just do a trickle down process again.

When the Pentax K-1 III comes out, let some of the Pentax K-1 features trickle down into a more entry-level body for new users to try out the Pentax eco-system?

But a FF sensor.

The camera isn't the key user cost-driver. The lenses are.

(There is no point in people appealing to Ricoh/Pentax to enable them to exploit their legacy / 2nd-hand / 3rd-party lens. There is no financial benefit to Ricoh/Pentax in doing that! Ricoh/Pentax want/need people to buy new lenses from them).

But Nikon got my money that way.

I already had FF lenses that I was using with my Nikon APS-C dSLR cameras.

When I got the Nikon D750, the only way I could afford it was because I already had the lenses I needed to use it.

(NOTE: I had been using FF f/2.8 zooms on a Nikon D7000 for the extra reach shooting as a parent from the stands at indoor sports events. When I got invited to shoot on the floor for my daughters club, those FF lenses were too long on the APS-C bodies so it really begged for me to get a FF body. And then a paid job came along that not only would pay for half the cost of the Nikon D750, but also really demanded I had the FF body. So . . . it was because I already had the FF Nikon lenses that it made sense for me to buy the FF Nikon body. If I didn't have Nikon FF lenses, I could have bought Canon or Pentax. So . . . people having existing FF Pentax lenses, and looking for a cost effective way in, this may be a benefit for Pentax?

Achieving the following graphic cost more than many people would be willing to spend.

I believe an aim for Ricoh/Pentax should be to enable people to obtain a comprehensive range of new Pentax FF lenses without being discouraged by the current prices of parts of the range.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that maybe not all the lenses need to be rock bottom pricing.

But maybe segment the lenses.

There are general purpose lenses. Like kit + telephoto. Maybe a superzoom and a 50mm.

There are performance / enthusiast lenses like the f/2.8 zooms and f/1.4 lenses.

And then the expensive specialized lenses?

Take care & Happy Shooting!

For example, I suspect that few people need, or are will to pay for, (or carry around), the D FA 15-30mm f/2.8. Perhaps a cheaper alternative is needed. (Etc).

There are some hints about that in the roadmap.

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow