Some mirrorless options for Pentax

Started Aug 25, 2018 | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,222
Re: To play the devil's advocate . . . time for another FF dSLR?

Fogel70 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Fogel70 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Why not just buy something like a used Sony A7 for $400-500 and $10 adapter?

+1

That thought has crossed my mind!

Ricoh develop cameras to be used with their current lenses. There is no profit for them in develop a cheap camera to be used with lenses sold by a different company 30-40 years ago.

I have to admit . . . I know what I'd like to see and do not consider whether it makes sense or not. LOL.

Not really my task, unless they are hiring!

I guess I look at the Pentax K-1 and think . . . ok, great camera!

But how big is the target market?

People with existing lenses would make up a lot of the people buying the Pentax K-1.

Yes, that was the main purpose with K-1. A camera designed for existing users.

But the plan was also that once they sola them a K-1, many users would realize that they need new lenses. That is one of the reason why Ricoh used 36MP sensor and pixelshift which few old lenses are capable of.

So lots of new lenses has been sold to new users of K-1.

+1

Absolutely!

And to an lesser extent there will be people buying into the system.

The Pentax K-1 has been on the market for two years.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/pentax/slrs/pentax_k1

Not a long time.

Once most of the people who plan to get a Pentax K-1 (II) have gotten theirs . . . what next?

They will continue developing new lenses to be sold to K-1 users. The business has always been about selling cameras so more lenses can be sold.

But what if that market is a fixed size or . . . maybe getting less? (As users start using their phones?)

Keep bring out a new K-1 for users to upgrade to the new model?

Maybe at that point in time it would make sense to open up to net to invite more people into the family.

Lower end stuff may come in the future, but right now the whole camera industry seems to be about selling higher end stuff as it is where most profits are. Most of the lower end has very little profit or have been completely killed by smartphones.

That does seem to be the push.

Maybe that is kinda short term thinking?

Where do the new users come from?

What if there was a digital successor to the Pentax K1000?

I guess one way to look at it was that the K1000 was the entry-level camera.

But . . . it inherited a lot from the Spotmatic series, which in its day was a high end camera!

So . . . maybe just do a trickle down process again.

When the Pentax K-1 III comes out, let some of the Pentax K-1 features trickle down into a more entry-level body for new users to try out the Pentax eco-system?

But a FF sensor.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow