Pop-up flash bounce: Release 1

Started Sep 21, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Petteri Sulonen Forum Pro • Posts: 24,585
Pop-up flash bounce: Release 1

Sunday, the flu, nothing better to do, so I went back to the white-card-as-flash-bounce idea (thanks to ShayTech of Sony Talk for the idea!) and took it a bit further. The plain white card had the disadvantage of not working at shorter focal lengths than 50 mm, so some improvements were needed.

After a bit of experimentation and examining the pattern of the flash on the card, I came up with this: I've dubbed it the FinnBounce:

The bounce works great an all of my lenses, including the 17 mm Tokina. E-TTL even takes care of metering!

Here it is on the camera:

And here are the results -- NO changes to camera settings; the only change was yanking out the FinnBounce between the frames. P mode on both, 1/60, f/3.5, ISO 200.

Without:

With (off right-hand wall):

See, it even makes your significant other smile!

And just in case someone suspects me of cheating, no, that's not natural light: it's FinnBounce magic. Here's the same scene shot with the same ISO, aperture, and shutter speed (200, 1/60, f/3.5) without the flash, to give you an idea of the lighting balance:

Here are instructions on how to roll your own, if you're interested:

Instructions for making a FinnBounce of your own:

1. Find a piece of cardstock about A4 size. I used the one bracing a package of inkjet photo paper. (US Letter will do for our trans-Atlantic friends.)

2. Cut it in half.

3. Cut a slot 2.5 cm (1") wide and 1.5 cm (2/3") deep in the center of the long edge.

3. Shape the rest of the edge as you see on the picture: the "tabs" are about 1.5 cm wide and 2 cm deep.

4. Grab your scissors and a ruler, and using the blunt side of the scissors, make a straight-line dent into the Bounce where you see it on the picture (or, I think, a little closer to the tapered edge). Bend experimentally to see that it bends cleanly.

5. Get hold of some rubber cement, preferably in stick form (easier to handle). Grab a piece of aluminum foil. Lay a very, very thin layer of rubber cement evenly on it, and another on the side of the FinnBounce soon to be covered by it. Allow to set for a minute or so.

6. Gently unroll the piece of aluminum foil on the FinnBounce, and press flat. Don't muff it too badly, because once it's there, it's there.

7. Trim edges of foil along edges of FinnBounce with scissors.

8. Get some book-cover plastic (I guess Scotch tape would do just as well), and seal the edges with it.

Voilà, the FinnBounce is ready for action. Pop up the flash, bung it under it, take a test-shot to see that there's no light coming into the picture over the FinnBounce, twist it up if necessary, and you're ready to go.

Petteri
--

Portfolio: [ http://www.seittipaja.fi/index/ ]
Pontification: [ http://www.seittipaja.fi/ ]

Petteri Sulonen's gear list:Petteri Sulonen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow