Safari and camera bags

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jan Krux Regular Member • Posts: 405
Re: Safari and camera bags

averacpa wrote:

Not to beat a repeated subject to death, but I am interested in those who have been on safari, on how they carried/used their cameras/lens in both an open and closed vehicles: single or multiple camera bags, type of bag, etc..

My upcoming safari is in January 2019 and is an extension of a two week cruise along southern Africa (Namibia, South Africa, Maputo-Mozambique) and with four nights post excursion at Kruger. The cruise will also offer a few day safaris as well at the countries listed above. Perhaps a total of 5 day/morning excursions from the ship and 9 excursions from the land portion.

Based on prior recommendations and based on my budget and current equipment, I plan on bringing four lenses: Oly f2.8 12-40, 40-150 plus the TC, Pany 100-300 ver 1 and Pany 15 f1.7 (for any night or evening shots) plus 3 bodies: EM1 mkI, GX7 and either EM5 MKII or G85 (leaning towards the EM5 since it shares a the battery with the EM1).

Normally I would travel with all my equipment in the Think Tank Urban Approach 15, but am contemplating a separate holster bag for each camera/lens combo: EM1 with the 40-150 plus TC, GX7 with the 12-40 and EM5 MKII with the 100-300. All would go into a small overhead carry-on rolling luggage bag.

My thoughts is to have three camera setups using separate bags for protection and quick access vs using one bag and constantly having to open and extract a camera or end up leaving all three system loose outside (fear of vehicle damage from banging around).

On occasion, while traveling, I carry two camera/lens combo strapped around my neck and I do that only for a short period of time as it is quite uncomfortable (even when the second camera is a GX7 with the Oly 9-18 or a small prime) and a pain to access as they often get tangled. Trying to avoid that and not planning on bringing a tripod, everything to be handheld.

So what is your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

your question is welcome.

I am living in South Africa for about 20 years now and we are travelling quite often 4x4 into the "bush".

For me it turned out to be best when everything is in one bag - for me a Lowe Pro Stealth, where the top lid flaps around the bag and keeps the equipment dry and or dust free. I think with more bags you wil be too busy with the bags and cannot concentrate on the shooting.

In this bag I store my E-M1 with 2.8/12-40mmPro attached and the 2.8/40-150mmPro plus TC on the E-M1MkII. Also I have the 2.8/7-14mmPro in my bag for landscapes or what ever I feel the need to.

The 40-150mmPro is very versatile. You can do Birds and Ellie's too. I found a 300mm would be only needed for birds further away. On a Safari you must be aware that wildlife might be very close to the vehicle and in particular Ellie's might "crash" your field of view very quickly when using a tele of 300mm. Also you might want to do a group shot at the waterhole. Therefor the midrange zoom is fine.

Yes, you might have your camera with the 40-150mm plus TC on your lap. When your wife is with you, she could hold the  body with the 12-40mm in her hands (and may be taking some "reportage" photos) while you are busy with the wild...

When you take 3 bodies, you can attach the UWA to that, but you might only use it here and there. So there would be also time to change lenses with the midrange zoom. At least I do it that way. The longer tele stays attached with one body as you might need to be quick for birds or specific animal situations.

The high speed lenses you can pack away untill you are back in the camp at the fire or dinnertable, or maybe when watching at the waterhole after sun set.

For excursions in a bigger city I would suggest you to pack as limited as you can. Don't wear a big photobag. It might attract too many unwanted hands ... ;-)) :-(((

Tripod you can leave in the camp as well.

if you want, yu can have a look on my Albums on flickr and get some ideas from there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jan-krux/sets/72157658825515674

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jan-krux/sets/72157682950235735

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jan-krux/sets/72157691731366254

I hope this helps a bit.

enjoy your trip and bring back many beautiful remembrances ..

cheers,

Jan

Jan Krux's gear list:Jan Krux's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow