My initial findings Tamron 24-70 G2

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,748
My initial findings Tamron 24-70 G2

Got one of these a few weeks ago and have been able to shoot several events with it. Unlike some other reviews, I found the AF to be very good across the range out of the box. The VC is AMAZING and I couldn't be happier with the sharpness and the overall performance of the lens.

BUT... (isn't there always something?) I have found shooting outdoor events the bokeh is a bit on the harsh side. I haven't tried turning off the VC outdoors in decent light to see if it might be introducing this? I am a self proclaimed bokeh whore and shoot with prime lenses like the Nikon 58 1.4G and the old 85mm f1.4D known for bokeh over outright sharpness so I'm probably being picky. I've honestly not used a zoom in this range with what I would call outstanding bokeh but felt I had to mention it.

For indoor events, I haven't noticed it and honestly, this lens and this focal length range is more useful indoors anyway. I can see going back to my 58G/80-200 f2.8 or 35G/80-200 f2.8 combo for outdoor events.

I'm going to give it 4 stars, great build quality, AF works nice, VC is amazing and sharpness is there. I have to personally take one star off for the bokeh.

-- hide signature --

Stacey
"Maybe it's time for people to start thinking about upgrading the photographer rather than new gear every year."

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more
Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD G2
Canon EF, Nikon F (FX) • A032
Announced: Jun 30, 2017
Stacey_K's score
Average community score
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow