Safari and camera bags

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP averacpa Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: +1 for holster bags

Messier Object wrote:

With 2 of us traveling we had 3 camera bodies, 1 lens for video/landscape, and 3 long lenses for wildlife.

After the first game drive I was able to decide which long lenses to use for the rest of the game drives, leaving the 3rd lens back at the lodge each day and relegated to ‘spare’ status.

We used 3 holster bags.

The small one carried the E-M1 II + 12-60mm. This was the primary video camera

The 2nd holster had the 5D3 + 70-200mm F2.8. This was the camera for close and large animals and low light.

The 3rd holster had the 7D2 + 100-400mm. This was mainly for bird’s, long shots and animal portraits.

I chose the ThinkTank 50 V2 specifically to accommodate the cameras with the lens hood in the ready-to-shoot position (lens caps removed).

The first thing we did after climbing into the vehicle was to wrap the holster bag straps around the bar in front of us so that the holsters dangled at a convenient height. This took no more than 30 sec. We each had one of the long combos in front of us and the video camera was in the middle.

This setup worked extremely well for 16 game drives. The cameras were always readily accessible, and well protected when we put them away rather than on the vehicle floor or on the seat, so I never worried about anything getting broken.

When flying and transiting airports etc we always carried the camera gear in backpacks, never in the holster bags. The holsters were always in the checked luggage, stuffed with sox and underwear.

So +1 on your holster bag decision, and I suggest a size allowing the lens hoods to be in the shooting position. But think about whether you really want to be going through airports with multiple holster bags dangling off you

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice and great information.  I figured that I could easily carry two holster bags and the Domke F-5XB in a rolling carry-on luggage bag for getting around an airport and to/from major points of travel (not excursions).

Did not consider buying a larger holster to accommodate an extended hood.  I figured with the retractable hood on the 40-150 and a quick flip of the hood on the Pany 100-30, I should be ready to fire any of the cameras.

I am also considering using a combination of holster and the Peak Design Capture clip for the wide angle lens camera, being smaller and lighter, I should be able to carry it in that fashion.  Only way to be sure is to buy/try/test,  This would only be of issue if the vehicle is packed.  I rather plan for the worst scenario and hope I have empty seats.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow