My turn for some lens advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 10,810
My turn for some lens advice

Well... I'm sort of wracking my brain a bit trying to decide on a direction for my next lens. I'm looking for a wide zoom and had pretty well zeroed in on the upcoming 8-16. However, I'm wondering whether the existing 10-24 might not be a better choice and at basically half the price.

My primary usage is travel photography... large building interiors, for example such as cathedrals. I can also see it used for landscape photography, though that is a bit of a secondary consideration for me, at least. The additional stop of aperture on the newer 8-16 would be nice, but to be honest, with either OIS or IBIS on my X-H1, I've been able to hand hold the camera in dark-ish interiors (such as cathedrals) quite successfully with very sharp results at ISOs between 1600 and 3200. Noise management at those ISOs has simply not been a problem.  Not sure whether the additional 2mm of width will make that much difference for this usage.  I've previously used 12mm for interiors.

So... I'm wondering whether waiting for the 8-16 -- at twice the price -- makes sense, or if the existing 10-24 might not very adequately get the job done without the 3-4 month wait. Any thoughts to share, folks?

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow