Reverting back to Perpetual License of Lightroom (v6.14 - 2015)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kirth Gersen Forum Member • Posts: 64
Reverting back to Perpetual License of Lightroom (v6.14 - 2015)

Hi all,

I see versions of this questions on this forum, but not really answering my question, and this recent thread lost it's way https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4308574 .

I am now recently retired, and need to economise.  I have subscribed to and used Lightroom Classic CC (LR7) for a couple of years, and to be honest, don't feel that the upgrades have been worth the £240 I've spent in subscription fees, and the "improvements" have slowed down my machine enormously.  So I am considering reverting to my Perpetual Licence of LR6.  My subscription renewal is on Sept 14th.

In the above thread, I've read that if you unsubscribe, you have access to Lightroom but not to the Develop module (ie next to useless).  But I have read elsewhere that you can use LR6 after cancelling your subscription, just not the LR7 catalogues created since then.  This  article shows a way round it by exporting the files created in LR7 as an XMP file for reimport into LR6.  Since then I have redownloaded LR6, upgraded it to the last version (6.14), followed the instructions and imported the XMP files and everything looks good.

So (if you have stuck with this so far), if I pull the plug on the subscription will my LR6 version still work?

And if it does, will I regret it?  On the one hand LR6 does everything I want.  I don't intend to upgrade cameras for a while, and usually work on TIFF scans from a film camera anyway.  I will miss the occasional need for more accurate healing tools in Photoshop, but I use it so rarely, I find myself having to relearn that unintuitive tool each time.

Your thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

Kirth Gersen's gear list:Kirth Gersen's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow