Sigma 16mm f1.4: Sharp Wide angle, wide open

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Churst New Member • Posts: 1
Sigma 16mm f1.4: Sharp Wide angle, wide open

TL;DR - Just about the sharpest APS-C lens that has ever existed.

I'm not sure what voodoo magic Sigma have been putting in their lenses, but this "Contemporary" range for APS-C outperform anything that Sony has put out within the same focal ranges. It seems that Sigma is the first company to truly realise what benefits the close flange distance of mirrorless systems can have on the optical design of their lenses.

I've been shooting on APS-C for about 10 years with Sony cameras, since my first a300 DSLR, and I've made my way through countless lenses, from Sony, Minolta, vintage Zeiss, some adapted Nikons that my dad had, and one thing I've always wanted to find was a lens that was sharp enough, at wide apertures, on APS-C to make images look like 35mm full frame sensors.

This 16mm f1.4 has that feeling, it's sharp wide open and only gets a little bit sharper as you stop down to f4. There is some vignetting, but as we're on APS-C it's more than tolerable. It's also a great match to the Sony system, with full AF compatibility even in video mode and with the same snappy autofocus as the top Sony/Zeiss lenses for the system. The only system feature it lacks is the OSS, but at 16mm it's definitely much less of an issue than at longer lengths.

At the price point it occupies, there is very little else that compares to this lens in this focal range, and to see optical performance like this I would have expected to pay nearer £1000, just like the top Sony G and Zeiss optics.

Great lens. If you want wide angle on a Sony a6xxx series camera then look no further.

This is the current pinnacle.

Churst's gear list:Churst's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) +1 more
Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony E-mount)
Prime lens • Sony E • 402965
Announced: Oct 24, 2017
Churst's score
Average community score
Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow