Safari and camera bags

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP averacpa Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: Safari and camera bags

drmarkf wrote:

In the Kruger you’ll be in open landcruiser/Land Rover vehicles, probably without roofs. A lot of animal & bird encounters occur at short notice, and you need to be able to react very quickly it you’ll end up with a lot of ‘tourist shots’ (ie nice shots of disappearing backsides!).

I found any sort of monopod or beanbag support just got in the way, and the image stabilisation of your kit will be a real help.

Personally i don't think I could use 3 cameras properly in an open game drive vehicle without getting confused, dropping something etc. Your choice, but that’s just what I feel.

I usually have 2 E-M1iis with the 40-150 or 12-100 on one, and the 300 on the other (although it depends on the terrain and amount of undergrowth). I usually have the body with the 300 in my hands/on my lap, and the other either on the seat by my side on a BlackRapid strap or else on the floor in whichever bag I’m using. Some sort of strap feels necessary on both cameras because a drop to predator level wouldn’t do them any good and you do sometimes get bounced around a lot.

i also take some sort of small, faster standard prime for evening shots around camp (most recently the Panny 15 f1.7].

Have fun!

Agree about the monopod and bean bag, was not planning on bringing either.

Yes I have thought about that having 3 cameras could present a new problem that I have never encountered before (I usually only travel with a two camera system with the 2nd body only as backup).

I figured that I would have at hand one with the 40-150 plus TC (main camera) and the other with the 100-300.  I would keep the GX7 with the 12-40 in the bag just in case an opportunity for close encounter occurs.  I think then I would have enough time to pull it out and probably pass one of the other cameras to my wife to hold.

After seeing the video on the Peak Design Capture clip, it is possible to keep the one of the main cameras attached to a chest strap while keeping the other cameras on hand leaving the wide angle in the bag with the wife. I would rather avoid having multiple straps around my neck, especially while seated.   I just don't know how often  and how much time you have to switch from telephoto to wide angle.

In Antarctica, I carried a two body system, keeping the GX7 with the 12-40 while using as my main camera the EM1 with the 40-150 plus TC.  I only needed the 100-300 on rare instances such as whales off the ship and was easily able to swap lenses on board without fear of water, dust or snow impacting the camera (had really good weather).  Everything was fairly close and used the 40-150 almost all the time.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow