Safari and camera bags

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
drmarkf Regular Member • Posts: 438
Re: Safari and camera bags

In the Kruger you’ll be in open landcruiser/Land Rover vehicles, probably without roofs. A lot of animal & bird encounters occur at short notice, and you need to be able to react very quickly it you’ll end up with a lot of ‘tourist shots’ (ie nice shots of disappearing backsides!).

I found any sort of monopod or beanbag support just got in the way, and the image stabilisation of your kit will be a real help.

Personally i don't think I could use 3 cameras properly in an open game drive vehicle without getting confused, dropping something etc. Your choice, but that’s just what I feel.

I usually have 2 E-M1iis with the 40-150 or 12-100 on one, and the 300 on the other (although it depends on the terrain and amount of undergrowth). I usually have the body with the 300 in my hands/on my lap, and the other either on the seat by my side on a BlackRapid strap or else on the floor in whichever bag I’m using. Some sort of strap feels necessary on both cameras because a drop to predator level wouldn’t do them any good and you do sometimes get bounced around a lot.

i also take some sort of small, faster standard prime for evening shots around camp (most recently the Panny 15 f1.7].

Have fun!

drmarkf's gear list:drmarkf's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Sony a7S Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow